Technical Index Trading & Analysis

Home Forums Technical Index Trading & Analysis Technical Index Trading & Analysis

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 460 total)
  • Author
    RS2OOO
    Keymaster

DOW / SPX have closed in red for 5 of the last 7 Tuesdays.

RS2OOO
    Keymaster

DOW constituents valued at 16% of the entire index report results tomorrow I believe.

If they all miss expectations by 1% does that mean we’ll get a 16% drop sell off? That would be nice!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by RS2OOO.
    Ben Nevis
    Participant

Lovely fall today, so far.

Didnt need to close stuff last night, but it was dead scary, and it could have gone up further.

Will start to buy if this goes any lower.

Need some longs to balance the shorts, especially if they are planning to rally through 2015.

I’m good at range trading, both long and short, and I need a period of that for a month.

OR… a genuine bear market, where I would flourish, LOL

bracke
    Participant

Good day georgeski

Thanks for the chart. Who’s charts do you use so that you can draw the Pitchfork?

wernluck
    Participant

Good Day all,
    Nice to see the new forum up and running.
    Have been looking at Cable today and have been triggered short..
    There was a nice wash in blue…and price made new lows after this event to confirm the wash.
    Price has now moved back up to the wash level,where my short was triggered:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

bracke
    Participant

Good day wernluck

If the red dot/dash line was your stop level it got mighty close.

I hope you escaped even if it was by the ‘skin of your teeth’!

wernluck
    Participant

Bracke
    yes
    i have adjusted that S/L
    it should have been above the wash..

bracke
    Participant

wernluck

So you are still in the trade?

wernluck
    Participant

Yes
    although i was in a bit early!
    I still like the look of it.

bracke
    Participant

I have been monitoring it all afternoon and just taken the plunge.

muff
    Participant

Nice site RS, hope it is successful

I was long US crude last night and was stopped out on a margin call. I hadn’t realised when opening the trade that US light required much more margin that say the DOW (it wasn’t a big position – but then I don’t keep much money in my account!).

A margin call was executed exactly on cue and the trade closed out for a loss, yet oddly the trade was reopened at the new level, which didn’t make much sense. Overnight I received six emails requesting additional funds as the price moved up and down. Even this morning further margin was required and I was expecting to be closed out again once the workers bees rocked up to start monitoring accounts.

Strangely the trade survived and I’ve since closed it for +100 recovering the original loss (and more). SB companies do odd things (in this instance, IG).

georgeski
    Participant

Hi Bracke sorry for the late reply. Only just got home. Well, got home and taken the dog for a night walk over Cannock chase.(need a good torch).

I use advfn charts because they are cash charts. I do use IG charts but because they are futures and out of hours you get all sorts of movements that can skew the picture.

As long as dow doesn’t take a dive below today’s low we may get a good bounce tomorrow.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by georgeski.
    wernluck
    Participant

RS
    considering Eur/Cad
    here is what i see on the Daily chart:
    in a downtrend and with a wash in blue above..
    ideally i would like to sell the thing in the red circle
    but there is no stop so will have to wait and see what gets built
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

georgeski
    Participant

muff.Re your margin calls. I do believe that IG margin calls are automated. You were lucky. The trade was moving in and out of profit and wasn’t in a loss situation long enough for IG to close you out. Next time watch the margin required for a trade. lols

Well done on your trade.:)

RS2OOO
    Keymaster

I found tonight immensely difficult.

One thing I’ve learned…. If you log on with 4 hours of trade left and you see DOW -300 points in the red and still dropping towards -400 points it virtually always closes near the days low (except when a capitulation low has been printed) so I rarely even consider long positions.

Today I shorted the early evening rebound and it cost me dear, stopping me out right at the height of the rebound.

After that being little more risk averse, I took 3 further trades and put stops at break-even as soon as they were beyond +25 to +30 in profit. 2 of them stopped out at break-even – each one at the height of the retraces – yet between them they’d have recovered the earlier loss had I taken profits.

The 3rd one is from 17,457 and was showing +70 five minutes before the close….. As I type futures have just re-opened, spiked up and taken that one out too.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 460 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.